Our little story's

Our little story's

Monday, June 28, 2010

Animals Attack

Today started out unlike any other here in Thailand. When we first arrived here we were educated on the enormous cock roaches we might see. Everyone told us that we would find them dead in the morning, due to the spray that they put around the houses, and to just sweep them up. Since being here we have only seen about 2 or three a morning and sometimes there are 0!!! But let me assure you they are HUGE!!! I mean like 2 inches long huge. Something you might see people on Survivor eat, HUGE!! So after getting up at 6 am, for the third time to use the potty, I crawled back into bed fully expecting another hour to sleep before little man woke up but much to my surprise, just as I lay my little head down on the pillow, it attacked. A big cock roach crawled down my head! I stealthily stood up shaking my head telling Benny "there's something in our bed", and when he finally came to he found it half alive under my pillow where no doubt it went to hide from my swinging hands. Benny swatted it off the bed and then lay back down like nothing happened. Of course I couldn't go back to sleep because I felt like bugs were crawling all over me. For an hour I lay there tossing and turning finally surrendering to the fact that sleep would not be coming back to me. I striped the bed of the sheets and headed to the bathroom (you've got to love pregnancy). You would think that would be were the crazy animal stories end but you'd be wrong. Hours later Benny had gone to get us all lunch at a food stand down the street, while Pax and I stayed back. Pax had just woken up from his nap so we were watching Veggie tales when I heard this loud BANG outside. I picked Pax up and ran to see what had happened. I imagined a car accident but when I went out side all I could see were the neighbors next door looking around as perplexed as I was. As I turned to go back inside I figured out what that loud bang was. A dove had flown full speed into our window and was laying on the ground half alive. I didn't know what to do so I walked across the street to the neighbor and asked him what to do. He came over to investigate but by the time we all got back to the bird it had died. Being the Thai native that he is, he picked up the bird and said (in broken English) he knew some people that would like to have it for a meal. Of course I looked at him confused and asked if that was safe and he proceeded to tell me that the bird had "no life" and was safe to eat now. I just nodded, smiled and said thank you to him for ridding me of having to discard the bird while Benny was away. Needless to say when Benny did return, food in hand, he didn't believe me when I told him what happened until I took him outside to see the feathers blown around the yard. What a day!!! Thought you would get a laugh out of that.... I only wish I had taken pictures!

1 comment:

  1. I literally would have freaked over the bug in the bed. As it is I may not sleep tonight because of the bug that was in YOUR bed! haha. As for the bird, I actually tore down the nest that's in the entry way (you remember it right?), little did I know there were eggs in it! What kind of mother am I? Counting down the days til I see you! Love.

    ReplyDelete